About Ivey Mechanical Company
- Established in 1947
- Headquartered in Kosciusko, Mississippi
- Over 1,000 employees
- Led by Larry Terrell, CEO/Chairman and Denny Terrell, President
- Over 90 current employees have celebrated 25 or more years with the company
- 11 locations throughout the Southeast
- 13 LEED Accredited Professionals
- Annually Recognized as ENR Top 50
- Built 3 of the World’s Fastest Data Processing Centers
- First LEED Gold Prison located in Milton, Florida
- Southeastern regional service footprint
- 90% of Service business originates from repeat customers
- Revenues near $200 million
- Working capital to do over $250 million
- Employee 401k plan valued over $30 million
- Over $550,000 given to employees in need by employee-funded benevolence fund
- Ivey is an Accredited Training Sponsor with NCCER
- Management training involves 200 managers and focuses on client and employee relations, prefabrication, safety, productivity, etc.
- Ivey has offered craft and apprenticeship training for almost 30 years
Ivey Mechanical Company is a long-standing member of many professional and trade associations, ensuring that our co-workers are current on industry developments and innovations. These include:
- Air Conditioner Contractors of America (ACCA)
- American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
- American Subcontractors Association (ASA)
- Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC)
- Associated General Contractors (AGC)
- Better Business Bureau (BBB)
- Chamber of Commerce
- Construction Financial Management Association (CFMA)
- Design-Build Institute of America (DBIA)
- Georgia Plumbers’ Trade Association (GPTA)
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
- Plumbing Heating Cooling Contractors Association (PHCC)
- Plumbing and Mechanical Association
- Professional Construction Estimators Association (PCEA)
- United States Green Building Council (USGBC)
The History of Ivey Mechanical
1947: Ivey’s Plumbing and Electrical Company
Ivey’s Plumbing and Electrical Company was founded in 1947 by Mr. Kermit Ivey in Kosciusko, Mississippi. The small repair shop focused on residential and small commercial construction. The company continued on a steady growth pattern with annual sales that approached a half-million dollars by 1958.
It was in this year that the founder’s son, Marlin, joined the partnership with his father. The partnership was based upon an agreement to shift the marketing focus from residential to commercial projects.
Ivey’s was building a quality reputation, which later served as the key value that led to progress and expansion.
The first major commercial job the company acquired was the electrical contract for the new East and West Side Elementary Schools in Kosciusko. During the sixties, the company was a major player in mechanical construction throughout the state of Mississippi. Ivey’s participated in numerous major projects, including the Twin Towers construction on the campus of the University of Mississippi at Oxford in 1968. Ivey’s was building a quality reputation, which later served as the key value that led to progress and expansion.
1969: Ivey’s, Inc.
The name Ivey’s Plumbing and Electrical Company was changed in 1969 to Ivey’s, Inc. shortly after Kermit Ivey’s death. By this time, the growth mode had been well established. In the early 70’s, Ivey took a new direction when they secured a major project with the federal government for barracks work at Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi, Mississippi.
This proved to be a significant turning point for the company and a beginning of geographical expansion. Marlin Ivey began to shape the company’s philosophy of going where the work was, which eventually led to opening offices throughout the Southeast in order to be able to better service customers through a more local approach.
In 1973, Ivey’s took on their first V. A. hospital project. Through the mid-seventies, Ivey’s work was approximately 90% government work. Through this work, Ivey’s became associated with a number of prime contractors for medical facilities.
1990: Ivey Mechanical’s Southeast Expansion
In 1990, J. Marlin Ivey stepped down as Board Chairman and his son, Joe Ivey, took over controls of what had become one of the largest mechanical contractors in the country. The daily operations were managed by President Larry Terrell. The name of the company was changed to Ivey Mechanical Company, Inc. to facilitate the change in management and ownership. During the nineties, the company grew in revenue from $50 million to over $140 million. With the late nineties came a wave of consolidations within the industry. Ivey Mechanical Company briefly became part of this movement in 1998 before acquiring itself back in early 2003.
2017: Nearly 70 Years of Service
Today the company operates under the leadership of Larry Terrell and Denny Terrell and still does so under the name of Ivey Mechanical Company, LLC. Ivey currently has revenues around $200 million, bonding capacity at $250 million and continues to maintain a strong and healthy balance sheet.
If you are interested in working with a company with many decades of mechanical contracting experience to build your next project, please contact us.